Re: [Tails-dev] TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt volumes undetectable

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt volumes undetectable
segfault:
> sajolida:
>> Testing VeraCrypt right now I see that on the main window there is an
>> option to "Mount" (which requires first selecting a file or device) but
>> also an option to "Auto-Mount Devices" (which autodetects my VeraCrypt
>> partition). segfault, I think you should have a look at what code is
>> running behind this "Auto-Mount Devices" button:
>>
>> https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home_VeraCrypt_Creating_Volume.png
>>

> According to the VeraCrypt documentation, the auto-mount option first
> prompts you to enter your password and then tries to decrypt *every*
> device and partition with it:
>
> https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Main%20Program%20Window#AutoMountDevices

Yeap, I understand that asking for the password first and then looking
for partitions that opens with it is the way that VeraCrypt found to
avoid false positives and false negatives. It's also one way VeraCrypt
users are used to interact with their volumes.

Deciding to do things similarly in Tails would probably have technical
benefits (in certainty of detection) and UX benefits (by matching what
people already do elsewhere). Now, I understand that this would require
having this VeraCrypt auto-mount feature always visible to people (even
if they are not using VeraCrypt) and this might be difficult to sell to
upstream who will be reluctant to add more visible features to everybody.

Definitely a problem to explore during our UX sprint...