Re: [Tails-dev] Questions regarding DAVE

Author: sajolida
To: Uzair Farooq, anonym, The Tails public development discussion list, Tails system administrators
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Questions regarding DAVE
Uzair Farooq:
> Hey sjolida and anonym,

Hey!

Meta:

- I think anonym would be in a much better position to answer these
questions but Uzair sent them 4 days ago so I'll answer them the best I
can myself now.

- I'm also putting in copy tails-sysadmins@??? who deal with our
Git repositories and will create new ones if needed.

- I'm replacing tails-ux@??? with tails-dev@??? in the list of
recipients because we're moving into the realm of pure code here (which
is good!).

> I had a few questions:
>
> - What is the location of firefox addon in the repository?

I'm not sure to understand your question so maybe I'll miss your
point... Right now the only Git repo I could find is:

https://git-tails.immerda.ch/ma1/download-and-verify-extension/

Which belongs to Giorgio Maone and the code of the Firefox add-on seems
to be here:

https://git-tails.immerda.ch/ma1/download-and-verify-extension/tree/tails-download-and-verify

> - What procedure we follow to add a new change to the repository i.e.
> should I create a new branch from master and add my changes to it? Also,
> do I have permissions to add changes to the repository.

I think that:

- You should have your own public Git repository, where you can push
your work as you wish. We could host it on our infrastructure
(https://git-tails.immerda.ch/) or you could host it wherever you please
(GitHub, etc.).

- Tails should have an authoritative upstream repo for DAVE, that
doesn't belong to external contractors but follows the same access rules
as the rest of our code.

In both cases, I would suggest calling it "verification-extension"
rather than "download-and-verify-extension" because it's not doing the
download anymore but the verification is here to stay (otherwise there's
no extension needed). We've been using "DAVE" internally but maybe
changing our habits and use "verification extension" which is a more
transparent name would be good in general.

In terms of branches, Giorgio was doing everything in `master` and his
commits were not very atomic (to say the least). But I think it would be
good to have a more elaborate branching scheme and better Git workflow
in general.

For example, in our core repo we have master/stable/testing/devel
branches and also feature branches (usually one per Redmine ticket) [1].
But maybe for the verification extension we don't need all these
development branches. I'll you coder decide what's good for you :)

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git#index2h3

And regarding the Chrome extension, do you think it could live in the
same repo and share most of the same code?

> - I've started working on addon but would need html mockups to actually
> integrate it with the website.

Yeap. Today I'll improve on the wireframes, print them, and hopefully
starting testing them with users. I still plan on having the HTML
mockups ready by the end of the week.