Re: [Tails-dev] Tails version 3.1 update headers are actuall…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list, Kimathi
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails version 3.1 update headers are actually for V 2.7.9.
Hi,

Kimathi:
> I was having problems signing a transaction offline in electrum, and i found
> a posting saying that the problem is a glitch in version 2.7.9 of tails.  The problem
> is that when I try signing the transaction I get the error message "the server did
> not respond."  So I went on to update Tails to version 3.1.  The download clearly
> indicated that I was downloading version 3.1, but i ended up duplicating the same old
> version 2.7.9.
> Please assist with a link to the latest version of Tails.

Thanks for your bug report. So far Tails is based on Debian stable, so
it's expected that you get Electrum 2.7.9:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/electrum

The way we fix bugs in software we ship is generally by getting them
fixed in Debian stable: it's simply way too much work to maintain
a system that takes pieces from everywhere and tries to make them
work together.

So we need to know what exactly the bug is, and in which exact version
of Electrum it was fixed. Once we have this information we can ask the
Electrum maintainers in Debian to backport the fix to Debian stable :)

It might be:

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2508
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/283/RELEASE-NOTES#L77
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/195
… that apparently was fixed in 2.7.11.

Next step will be to identify which part of:
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/compare/2.7.10...2.7.11
… contains the fix. I'll let you handle that with upstream,
and once this is done I can relay the information to Debian.