Re: [Tails-dev] Questions about tails security (FTP and YouT…

Author: volenta
To: The Tails public development discussion list, ounna
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Questions about tails security (FTP and YouTube)
Hi,

Ounna M:

> Hello, As a new Tails user, I am worried about the 2 following
> questions:
>
> First question: - When I use Tails to go on YouTube (with Tor
> browser), am I still anonymous? I read somewhere that launching a
> video player (like on YouTube) is another program embeded in the
> webpage, so that is may not be using the Tor network. Can I
> anonymously surf on YouTube and watch YouTube videos, and also upload
> videos on YouTube with Tor browser in Tails?

As far as I know, Tails is built with "nothing else than Tor" in mind :
everything you do should go through the Tor network.
This means that a website you visit from Tails cannot see your location
and that your Internet Provider cannot see what you are doing (except
when you use the Unsafe Browser).

Furthermore, if I understand correctly, youtube doesn't need an external
program anymore (some time ago, Flash player was needed, but nowadays,
serious videos websites use HTML5 to play videos, and that uses kind of
an internal video player).

Regarding "staying anonymous" : as you probably know, Tor is *not* the
only thing you need to be anonymous on the Internet. If you created your
youtube account from your home connection without Tor, then uploading a
video to this account but from Tails won't help at all, as your account
was linked to your home at first.
You may want to read these links :
- https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning
- https://tb-manual.torproject.org/en-US

> Second question: - It seems that there is no FTP client in Tails, so
> how can I build and update my website anonymously trough Tails if
> there is no FTP client to connect through Tor to my Web hoster space
> disk?

There is no evident FTP client, that's true. There is a tiny FTP client
built in Nautilus, the file manager, though. You might want to try this
one. I didn't try it yet so I couldn't tell you whether it actually
works (through Tor) or not. But I do think that if it works, it goes
through Tor.
As a last thing, please note that FTP is as secure as HTTP : everything
goes in the clear and anybody between your computer and the FTP server
can see and edit the files you send and receive, as well as your
username and password. If your web host supports another mean of
transferring file, such as sFTP or webdav, you probably should switch to
that. If your web host doesn't support anything else than FTP, then you
might want to find another one :p

I hope I was clear!

Volenta