Re: [Tails-dev] About SquashFS default compression setting

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: anonym
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] About SquashFS default compression setting
Arnaud:
> Dear Tails,
>
> this is just a detail I'd like to discuss.
>
> When I did my first Tails build a while ago, I didn't specify any
> SquashFS compression setting. So I expected the compression to be the
> default. And amazingly, there's a setting called 'defaultcomp', which
> correspond to xz compression. So I was a bit surprised to see in the
> logs that I ended up with gzip compression instead.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that, from the point of view of the person who
> builds Tails, there's no 'default' compression. The compression is
> automatically chosen by the build system: xz for release, gzip otherwise
> (tell me if I'm mistaken).
>
> So I think it's a bit misleading to have a setting named 'defaultcomp',
> and it would be better named 'xzcomp'.
>
> What do you think ? I can open an issue and provide a patch if you agree
> with me.

Yeah, and it even used to be even worse, cause we hadn't unambiguously defined when a "release build" should occur before, but since the recent rework of the build system this is well-defined (build a release if and only if HEAD is tagged). Any way, a ticket and patches renaming them to `fastcomp` and `releasecomp` (or similar) would be welcome. This change will require some coordination with our infra's sysadmins, though, so it might take a while for it to be applied.

Cheers!