Re: [Tails-dev] Tails build system update

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails build system update
Vasiliy Kaygorodov:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM, anonym <anonym@???> wrote:
>>

>> Might I instead suggest that you add vmdebootstrap to your PATH, i.e.:
>>
>>     export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/ve/tails/bin"

>> so you can have a clean Git state ...
>>

> source ve/tails/bin/activate takes care about it, but PATH is not in the
> list of env_keep in /etc/sudoers on most distros, also for sudo commands
> PATH is set to whatever is in the secure_path - so setting PATH env
> variable for root won't work too.

Right, I forgot about `vmdebootstrap` being called wrapped by `sudo`, so forget about the PATH nonsense.

Alternative: create a symlink /usr/bin/vmdebootstrap -> ${HOME}/ve/tails/bin/vmdebootstrap

> I'd solve it by having git-ignored
> builder-overrides.sh in vagrant/definitions/tails-builder/, and support for
> overrides in generate-tails-builder-box.sh - but IMO the effort/outcome
> ratio is pretty low here to bother (taking into account one does not have
> to build a new box after every rebase). Or what do you think?

If the above isn't good enough: sure, that would work, patches are welcome! As would patches for the simpler approach where the path is given in an environment variable (that defaults to `vmdebootstrap` if not set).

Cheers!