Re: [Tails-dev] Reintorducing I2P to Tails

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Reintorducing I2P to Tails
Hi,

Vasiliy Kaygorodov:
> My name is Vasyl "vk" Kaigorodov, and I want to start working on
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12264 (reintroduce I2P) and become an
> I2P-Liaison

Cool!

> (and maybe Debian I2P packages maintainer eventually, though I'm not
> a huge fan of Debian build system and their maintainer
> guidelines).

Personally, I would really like to see clear plans to get I2P in
Debian proper before we reintroduce it. But IIRC this wasn't part of
the blockers we agreed upon, was it? I'll let anonym clarify.

> can also upload ISO somewhere, if needed).

Publishing a Git branch would be enough :)

> There're couple of minor issues:
> - bootstrapping process in Tails checks if port 4444 is open on lo iface
> and reports "I2P is ready" when it is; that's only partially true -
> sometimes you can open an *.i2p address in the browser, sometimes you have
> to wait additional 1-2 minutes until tunnels are built. That's probably the
> reason for that sleep command to be present.

Yes, probably.

> I see two ways to solve it:
> (1) improve the `i2p_built_a_tunnel()` to check not only the port, but also
> trying to query some *.i2p site and (2) just update the docs saying that
> due to the I2P network design, and the way I2P is used in Tails (Hidden
> mode) - it might take some time for a user to be able to access I2P
> resources. Thoughts?

Indeed, this part of the I2P user experience in Tails has always
been crappy. I would welcome an actual fix. Can you please file
a ticket about it, if we have none yet?

> - i2p packages still available in deb.tails.b.o repos, so I had to do some
> pinning for deb.i2p2.de in apt preferences - should I report this to infra
> guys in Redmine?

Yes, please (and make sure you state clearly on the ticket what
packages should be removed from what APT suite).

> - not an issue but rather a question: do we need I2P repos in live Tails
> system, or only in chroot during the build process? Currently I did add it
> to both.

We won't use the I2P repos when building official Tails images anyway:
we instead import them into our own repo, as documented somewhere in
the commit you reverted. But I understand you want to do that on your
side for development purposes, so do whatever is more convenient for
you: it won't affect Tails in the end :)

> As being asked in #12264 I will first work on #8280, and then submit a huge
> patch for review. Please let me know if you want to see it earlier - will
> do the wip/ branch.

A Git branch with atomic commits would be much, much nicer than "a
huge patch".

Isn't https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8280#note-9 enough?

> Or maybe something was already implemented for
> Tor Browser, so I can re-use that for I2P browser?

No.