[Tails-dev] Reintorducing I2P to Tails

Author: Vasiliy Kaygorodov
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Reintorducing I2P to Tails
Hi guys,

My name is Vasyl "vk" Kaigorodov, and I want to start working on
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12264 (reintroduce I2P) and become an
I2P-Liaison (and maybe Debian I2P packages maintainer eventually, though
I'm not a huge fan of Debian build system and their maintainer guidelines).
Anyway.

So far I was able to:
- revert the e9d02049b4086b3516224227dbb6d4c73f8ff159 resolving all
conflicts
- add http://deb.i2p2.de/ repository and build the ISO with the latest I2P
package
- remove that annoying `sleep 240` from
config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-i2p and confirm this
does not break I2P bootstrapping process
- tested I2P software is working fine in Tails (screenshot is available,
can also upload ISO somewhere, if needed).

There're couple of minor issues:
- bootstrapping process in Tails checks if port 4444 is open on lo iface
and reports "I2P is ready" when it is; that's only partially true -
sometimes you can open an *.i2p address in the browser, sometimes you have
to wait additional 1-2 minutes until tunnels are built. That's probably the
reason for that sleep command to be present. I see two ways to solve it:
(1) improve the `i2p_built_a_tunnel()` to check not only the port, but also
trying to query some *.i2p site and (2) just update the docs saying that
due to the I2P network design, and the way I2P is used in Tails (Hidden
mode) - it might take some time for a user to be able to access I2P
resources. Thoughts?
- i2p packages still available in deb.tails.b.o repos, so I had to do some
pinning for deb.i2p2.de in apt preferences - should I report this to infra
guys in Redmine?
- not an issue but rather a question: do we need I2P repos in live Tails
system, or only in chroot during the build process? Currently I did add it
to both.

As being asked in #12264 I will first work on #8280, and then submit a huge
patch for review. Please let me know if you want to see it earlier - will
do the wip/ branch.

Also: in #8280 it's mentioned that someone proposed to use bind mounts in
the mailing list, but there's no link provided to the exact post. I was
trying to search the archives with not much luck. Can someone point me to
the right direction here? Or maybe something was already implemented for
Tor Browser, so I can re-use that for I2P browser?

Thanks.
--
Vasyl Kaigorodov
System Administrator