Re: [Tails-dev] Please help coordinate the work on Tails 3.0

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please help coordinate the work on Tails 3.0
intrigeri:
> sajolida:
>> intrigeri:
>>> tl;dr: please clarify by the end of April if you can handle your 3.0
>>> and priority >= Elevated Redmine tickets by May 15.
>
>> I had a look at my tickets. I quite clearly won't be able to tackle all
>> my 3.0 and 3.0~rc1 ticket >= Elevated by May 15. Otherwise I would have
>> to spend nearly all of my Tails time on this and not on the many other
>> "not so urgent" stuff and that wouldn't be wise.
>
> Thanks for this update!
>
>> But most of them are documentation tickets and I think it's fine to
>> tackle them after May 15.
>
> Well, ideally I would like us to give translators a month to update
> their stuff. But I understand we're not living in an ideal world, so
> well, fair enough, surely the doc update can be completed later.
> So I would suggest:
>
>  * prioritize doc updates that affect the code (e.g. the new Greeter's
>    doc) or critical UX paths (e.g. discovering what's Tails,
>    downloading, installing, upgrading, troubleshooting and basic
>    usage) over doc about advanced or rarely useful topics (e.g.
>    #12376, #12378);

Right. I would add "reviewing each others work" to the list of what
should get our attention in priority. Or at least it's a good share of
my work towards 3.0 :)

>  * communicate this to translators ASAP so they can get ready to
>    deal with whatever timeline you think is realistic on your side.

Agreed as well. What I could do is still send a call for translation
around May 15th, listing stuff that can already be updated. Trying to be
careful about not living tickets open that will affect these same bits
again before the release.

I created #12498 to track this.

>> I spotted three tickets that are not pure doc and that I will prioritize
>> (in this order) and should get done before May 15:
>
>> - #12368: Design UX for migrating databases to KeePassX 2
>> - #11962: Update installation/upgrade process/tools/doc for amd64
>> - #12441: Impossible to copy text from vim into X
>
>> And another ticket that could be handled by someone else, maybe you if
>> you feel its safer, but it shouldn't much work either so I'll very
>> probably be able to tackle it if prioritized wisely:
>
>> - #11573: Update po_translatable_pages for Tails 3.0
>
>> How does it sound?
>
> Sounds good. You might want to use the new 3.0~rc1 target version to
> encode this in Redmine.

I didn't do that so far but I should and I'll try :)