Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5929 create persistent volume by de…

Author: Andrew Gallagher
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5929 create persistent volume by default
On 2017/04/27 14:41, forgottenbeast wrote:
> Thanks for your thorough reply, to be honest I hadn't thought about
> those issues.
>
> In the spirit of using already developed solutions I reckon truecrypt's
> successor, veracrypt, must have been given some thoughts, what were the
> conclusions? In what way is it unsuitable for our purpose?

Veracrypt randomizes all free space by default, unless you specifically
tell it not to:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Hidden%20Volume

In principle, this would be the "proper" solution. The main drawbacks
are a) randomizing all free space is time-consuming on a slow removable
drive, and b) writing to a flash drive is much more wearing on the
hardware than a traditional spinning disk.