[Tails-testers] Unable to boot Tails 3.0 at all

Author: John Mekdeci
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Unable to boot Tails 3.0 at all
Dear Tails Development Team,

I'm heartbroken to report that not only was I unable to boot Tails 3.0
beta1, at which I stopped testing, but my renewed effort to test on
beta3 has failed miserably.

Regarding this last attempt, I have attached screenshots of two of the
failures with very descriptive filenames. So at the risk of being
redundant, I'll say that this test was done on a quite-new ASUS (AMD 64)
X5550 laptop. But it also failed to boot on two other older laptops I
have: HP Pavillion (where it just gives a black screen which says to
remove disk or other media and press any key to continue), and Dell
Latitude 2120 (actually I tested this one with my second method below
but it failed).

My first attempt was to create the Tails 3.0 beta3 USB stick by cloning
from inside Tails 2.11, and then running the 'upgrade from ISO' function
afterwards (I'm not sure why the Tails installer inside tails has no
direct 'install from ISO' option). That resulted in the screenshots
attached.

My next attempt was to go to my Dell (running Ubuntu 16.04) and
reinstall a fresh version (amd64 4.4.11+dfsg-0ubuntu1~xenial) of the
Tails Installer there, and install from the iso direct to the same (16GB
capacity) USB stick. The result was that method on bootup gives the
Tails title screen (which says to boot tails or troubleshoot mode), but
neither option does anything. In fact mostly it just loops saying tails
will autostart in a few seconds, it doesn't, and the counter resets
endlessly.

All three computers run Tails 2.xx fine from USB.

I'm a monthly supporter of Tails and fearful of having to find a new OS
when Tails 3.0 comes out.

Please include my concerns in your design of Tails 3.0.

Gratefully,

John