Re: [Tails-testers] Javascript

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Javascript
Hi,

first, this would be more suitable on tails-dev@???, as this is
not a testing report. But I don't expect this "discussion" to last
much longer so forget it for this time.

Jim Black:
> I had hoped that our intrepid TAILS developers would have, at long last,
> disabled javascript by default.

> I wonder how many people worldwide are now in prison because they forgot,
> one time, to disable that when they opened Tor Browser? How many lives have
> been ruined? How many have been tortured?

Please come back to us once you have any data to support this claim.

> All so that some flippin' idiot, who does not know enough about TAILS to be
> using it, will find it minutely easier to use TOR Browser.

Three things:

1. Please read
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/code_of_conduct/
and contribute to making the Tails discussion spaces safer and
more enjoyable.

2. You might be mistaken regarding what the target audience of Tails
is. This is understandable as we didn't document this properly yet.
One important aspect is that using Tails should require as little
learning as possible: otherwise many people will find it not usable
enough, they'll give up and will go back to their previous/usual,
less safe, computer practices (their usual web browser allows
JavaScript too, but it is probably not confined with anything like
AppArmor, and since it doesn't use Tor some targeted attacks are
vastly easier to set up).

3. Everyone enabling JavaScript on some websites but not others makes
each of them more fingerprintable, and makes *every* Tor Browser
user less anonymous.