Re: [Tails-testers] ifconfig

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] ifconfig
Hi,

tom joad:
> I am wildly testing away on the beta2 of Tails 3.0.

Thanks!

> I have found these issues which I sent along with the whisperback
> feature in the OS. You might have a look.

I expect our help desk will forward the relevant bug reports to me
(and actually they've probably done it already, so I'll have a look
in the next few days).

> First, ifconfig, a very basic linux command

It's been obsolete for a while, which is why it's not installed by
default in Debian Stretch (nor in Tails 3.0) by default anymore.
Use `ip' instead, which replaced ifconfig.

> that I use a lot to totally spoof my MAC is not present in beta2.

If you really want to deal with MAC spoofing yourself (at our own
risks), then you can use the macchanger command.

> Second, the screen lock in 'All Settings, Privacy' is totally grayed out and
> unusable.

The screen locker is not supported in Tails yet, so I'm not surprised
it may not work correctly. But there is work in progress on this front:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5684 :)

> And none of the settings in the Privacy area of All Setting hold their
> settings from boot to boot.

Indeed, Tails is amnesic.