Re: [Tails-testers] xmodmap -pke > .xmodmaprc gedit .xmodmap…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] xmodmap -pke > .xmodmaprc gedit .xmodmaprc(change dead 5 keys). 17.46.17 xmodmap .xmodmaprc& 17.46.57 performed
hi,

swjatoslaw gerus:
> xmodmap -pke > .xmodmaprc
> gedit .xmodmaprc (change dead 5 keys)
> 17.46.17 xmodmap .xmodmaprc&
> all blocked keyboard mouse .... after 40 sec all work keys changed
> 17.46.57 performed
> tested multiple times

If "17.46.17" and "17.46.57" are meant to communicate some useful
information to us, please clarify what they are about.

Is your request about the time it takes to xmodmap to complete the
"xmodmap .xmodmaprc" operation? If yes: I've seen that too. xmodmap is
not the best way to tweak the keyboard layouts. The GNOME interface
supports most common tweaks, and it can be done on the command line
with gsettings / dconf.

But if you really need xmodmap, then I think you'd better not save the
entire keyboard layout to xmodmaprc, and instead build a xmodmaprc
that contains only the *modifications* you need to apply to the
keyboard layout.