Re: [Tails-dev] Set coin selection to "privacy" by default i…

Author: intrigeri
To: Michael English
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Set coin selection to "privacy" by default in Electrum
Hi Michael,

Michael English:
> It also helps to reduce blockchain UTXO (unspent transaction
> outputs) bloat,

This makes me curious. How does this help with that property, exactly?
My intuition tells me that by restricting the set of coins that can be
spent to one single address, on the contrary, the software has fewer
possibilities to optimize towards 1. reusing existing unspent outputs;
and thus 2. avoiding to create more.

Also: where was this text quoted from?

> Routing transaction relay through Tor is only part of the solution. The blockchain is
> a public ledger that can be analyzed anytime after the initial transaction broadcast.
> Private coin selection impedes correlation of transaction inputs and outputs that
> could link back to an identity.

Sure. I hope our doc clearly states that it's very hard to use Bitcoin
in a privacy-preserving way, for some various value of "privacy".