[Tails-project] Organizing a Debian bug squashing party in P…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-project
Subject: [Tails-project] Organizing a Debian bug squashing party in Paris, Sprint 2017
Hi,

I would like to organize a Debian bug squashing party [BSP] next
Sprint in Paris, to help ensure Debian Stretch is great, and released
after a short freeze time. Such events are generally optimized,
consciously or not, for Debian developers. I'd like this one to be
different. I'm initially reaching out to my fellow Tails people
because I need accomplices to make this event great, and past shared
experiences within this community have built the trust I need to dare
try something new together.

[BSP] https://wiki.debian.org/BSP

I'm not going to discuss at length my political agenda here and now,
but I would like this event to reach out to, and properly welcome,
people who can contribute to the quality assurance effort, with their
pre-existing skills, in other ways than fixing bugs and uploading
packages. I'd rather not focus this event on training and learning;
this can be great too, and there will obviously be some need for
skills sharing here and there anyway, but it's not on top of my
priorities this time: my point is that lots of people don't need to
learn the same skills as me, in order to help.

To give you an idea, the way I see it, all the Tails contributors
I personally know would find a way to help, without having to wander
further out of their comfort zone than they wish.

Off the top of my head, I can think of people:

* testing the upcoming version and providing feedback; evaluating the
state of translations and the support of accessibility technologies
could be interesting focuses;

* triaging release blocking bugs (reproducing them, assessing their
severity, pointing the relevant people to them);

* providing feedback about "the top N things I dislike the most in
the current Debian release, that I very much hope will be fixed in
the next one";

* collecting data relevant to the release notes.

This fancy idea has little chance to become real without a somewhat
dedicated team behind it, so I'm looking for accomplices. If you're
interested in being part of the organization team, be it remotely
beforehand or on site during the event, please get in touch with me
privately. Worst case it'll be the usual BSP, that I can organize
by myself.

Also, I would love to see some of you there, so if you are interested
in attending, but feel any doubt or fear that you would like to share,
I'm available to listen and chat (and redirect you the best I can to
better suited people if needed).

Comments welcome (preferably privately, as I don't want to hijack this
mailing list more than needed).

To end with, I warmly recommend this great piece to whoever on the
list reads French and is into organizing such events:
http://mecaniquedesbrumes.fr/comment-organiser-un-evenement-technique-pour-un-public-heterogene-une-approche-globale/