[RSF] I: Next Thursday, a film not to miss !

Author: pilar castel
To: forumroma@inventati.org, Poema Seris Leo, checchino
Subject: [RSF] I: Next Thursday, a film not to miss !

________________________________
Da: Announce <announce-bounces@???> per conto di USC4P&J Announcements <announce@???>
Inviato: sabato 29 ottobre 2016 10.44
A: announce
Oggetto: Next Thursday, a film not to miss !

________________________________

[cid:lut9sevn6xcznt2jpogq@poco][cid:hyxtsxi0dnfuhpipnie4@poco]

SAVE THE DATE!

This Thursday (Nov. 3) evening at 8 pm, a film you won't want to miss!

Michael Moore, Where to Invade Next
U.S., 2015 (released 2016), 120 minutes
[cid:ldehbzk1loil3vypn47l@poco]
November 3, 8pm, Arcobaleno Club, via Pullino 1 (Metro Garbatella),
doors open at 7:30 pm with drinks and a light supper available.
(See enclosed flyer on how to get there and other details.)

And please help spread the word. Send the enclosed flyer to your friends and acquaintances.
Or print it and hang it up in places that English-speaking people frequent. Thanks!

The Film Comittee - email: film-series@???

Excerpts from the major reviews:

The Economist
The provocative film-maker's "Where To Invade Next" (released in Britain on June 10th) has an amusing premise: Mr Moore is "invited" to the Pentagon, where the brass tell him, in a voiceover of Mr Moore's own, "we don't know what the fuck we're doing." They "send" Mr Moore to "invade" new countries, looking not for oil but for ideas for making America a more civilised place. What he finds in Europe is, indeed, remarkable.

Rotten Tomatoes
This is an expansive, rib-tickling, and subversive comedy in which Moore, playing the role of "invader," visits a host of nations to learn how the U.S. could improve its own prospects. The creator of Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine is back with this hilarious and eye-opening call to arms. Turns out the solutions to America's most entrenched problems already existed in the world - they're just waiting to be co-opted.
Ratings: critics 78% positive, public 77% positive.

The Telegraph
Where to Invade Next is Michael Moore at his most audacious.

The Intercept
Where to Invade Next is the most profoundly subversive thing Moore has ever done. It's so sneaky that you may not even notice exactly what it's subverting.

The Indipendent
Where To Invade Next makes consistently entertaining viewing and again demonstrates Moore's knack of dealing with complex issues in a folksy and populist style.

Variety
Impishly entertaining.

Salon
Provocative, hilarious.

Rolling Stone
Love him or hate his methods, Moore touches a nerve in Where to Invade Next. In a climactic remembrance at the Berlin Wall, he recalls a time when a corrupt regime was brought down by people willing to protest. What counted most were humanitarian principles, the same bedrock concepts that America was founded on. See, the joke's on us. The rest of the world is swiping ideas that we originated. Amid the comic chaos of this scattershot satire is a shocking reminder to Americans that discovering the path ahead may be as uncomplicated as rediscovering the way we were. It's classic Moore.

RogerEbert.com
Michael Moore's surprising and extraordinarily winning "Where to Invade Next" will almost surely cast his detractors at Fox News and similar sinkholes into consternation. They get lots of mileage out of painting Moore as a far-left provocateur who's all about "running America down." But his new film is all about building America up, in some amazingly novel and thought-provoking ways. In my view, it's one of the most genuinely, and valuably, patriotic films any American has ever made.

It comes billed not as a documentary but a comedy, and the first joke is its hilariously misleading title. You think it anticipates a stern, leftist denunciation of American foreign policy. Instead, Moore tells us the Joint Chiefs of Staff invited him to Washington, DC, to confess that all their wars since "the big one" have been disastrous and ask his advice. He responds by offering himself up as a one-man army who will "invade countries populated by Caucasians whose names I can mostly pronounce, take the things we need from them, and bring them back home to the United States of America." So, wearing his trademark baseball cap and literally wrapped in the flag, he sets off across the Atlantic searching out peoples to conquer who have things America needs. Yes, he knows all of these countries have their own share of problems. But he's come, he says, "to pick the flowers, not the weeds." And what a bouquet he assembles.

[...] Anyone who travels abroad a lot inevitably reflects that, due to many factors, Americans are very insular, knowing far less about other countries than they know about us. Better national media and education might mitigate this, but in the meantime, Michael Moore has done thinking Americans a great service by opening several fascinating windows on the world. One of his most accomplished and entertaining films, "Where to Invade Next" is rich in ideas that deserve to be discussed by liberals, conservatives and everyone else on the political spectrum in the upcoming election year. Optimistic and affirmative, it rests on one challenging but invaluable idea: we can do better.