Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus
ghostlands@???:
> Why is it not already possible for the persistence feature to save/reference the
> .config directory and everything in it (and whatever other config directories in the
> home directory)? And of course load these saved settings at startup?

This would persist not only the settings that the user really meant to
change in a persistent way, but it will also freeze all the other
settings stored in ~/.config/ to the value that we set in Tails at the
time when they made this directory persistent. In other words, a part
of their Tails system will never be upgraded anymore, and the user has
little knowledge and control over what's in this part. This is not
something that I want to even try supporting.

For ~/.config/ I would suggest using the Dotfiles feature instead,
since it allows adding a custom persistent overlay *on top* of the
defaults that one did not mean to modify nor persist.

For dconf one "should just" implement dumping/loading a list of
user-specified keys to/from persistence. It should be simple to solve
that for technical users (who can already workaround this easily so
it's not worth it), and non-trivial to solve in a way that is easy &
safe to use for everyone else. Which probably explains why nobody has
implemented it yet.