Re: [Tails-dev] [tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status repor…

Author: George Kadianakis
To: segfault, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status report 4
segfault <segfault@???> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Hi everyone,
>
> this is the fourth status report on the Tails Server GSoC project.
>
> First off: There are nightly images of Tails with integrated Tails
> Server available for download [1]. Some notes if you want to test it:

Hey segfault,

I gave your iso a try! The application seems to work pretty well!

Here are some nitpicking comments. Feel free to ignore comments that involve
parts you have not yet implemented.

- When Mumble starts it just says "Online". There is no indication on how to
use it, what's the onion address, or how you connect to it.

- OTOH, Gobby provides useful information when it starts, like the onion
address and the port.

However, in both cases I was actually not sure how to test or use the
service. I wonder if it would make sense to have a small paragraph for each
type of service pointing to resources on the internet, or a small guide on
how your friends can connect to you... (hm, localization issues?)

I guess the client-side of Mumble is also installed on Tails right? So
testing it from inside Tails should be quite easy.

- I tried starting up (installing) Mumble for the first time without
Internet. The startup blocked for a while and then it displayed a message
that said "An error occured. See the log for details." How is the user
supposed to find this log?

- In Gobby, is the server password securely auto-generated? Can we make this
more obvious maybe? Or maybe can we have an opt-in "auto-generate" button
that generates a password only if the user wants?

Or maybe the current auto-generate by default approach is best for UI. Not sure.

BTW, did you write the password generation routine yourself or is it a
module? You don't have one that uses readable words instead of random base64?

- When Gobby is offline, the "Connection info" says "None". Maybe it should say
"Service has not been started" or sth?

- Why is the reset button available only for Gobby?

- Mumble has no options? Not even port or onion address like Gobby?

- I pressed the "Help" question mark button, but it did nothing. I assume it's
not yet implemented.

Hope some of these comments are useful, and I did not duplicate the discussions
you've been having on the other thread.

Cheers!