Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
Spencer:
> Hi,
>

>> sajolida:
>> we decided not to apply any change
>> until the service is restarted.
>>

> How are services restarted?
>
> A top-level 'Restart' button for all the services would be sweet.

I don't think we need an extra restart button, because actually we don't
wait until the service is restarted, before we apply the changes.

>> the options lack a signifier
>> until you pass over them
>>

> What about this [0], I think it is closest to 'Option B'.

It looks really nice! I think we wouldn't need an edit mode with the
'Reset' and 'Save' buttons. Instead, we could always allow editing. If
the service is running when the user clicks on 'Save', we can tell him
that the service needs to be restarted and let him confirm this.

I implemented this in the prototype and appended screenshots.

I see a downside to this approach: In the other approach, where the user
clicks on the label to edit it, "special" edit modes like for the
password or the onion address can be triggered by this click on the
label. I think with this approach we would need additional buttons for
those options. The icons you use for this look really nice, but I'm not
sure if they are self-explanatory enough - I prefer buttons with text.

Cheers.