[Tails-dev] deficiency: MAT does not remove metadata from im…

Author: Christian Pietsch
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] deficiency: MAT does not remove metadata from images embedded in PDF
Dear Tails developers,

as you rely on MAT, the Metadata Anonymization Toolkit, I would like
to make you aware of a deficiency in MAT's current metadata removal
algorithm for PDF. In short, it is non-recursive. This means it cannot
remove metadata in images (and possibly other files) embedded in PDF
files. Be sure to re-check output files after using MAT.

htgoebel who discovered this bug reported it as a feature request in
early February <https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11067> but it
received no attention until I emailed jvoisin in early May.

Until this bug is fixed, htgoebel and I think it important to educate
Tails users about it. That is why we published an article about Tails,
MAT and this bug on the Digitalcourage website in English and German:
[en] https://digitalcourage.de/blog/2016/using-tails-be-careful-embedded-metadata
[de] https://digitalcourage.de/blog/2016/sicherheitsluecke-in-mat-tails-wird-geschlossen

Digitalcourage is a privacy and digital rights NGO known for handing
out Big Brother Awards in Germany. It also runs a Tor exit node and an
anti-censorship DNS server. htgoebel and I are volunteers there.

Many thanks for your great work!
Christian

--
Christian Pietsch
Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany

Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nicht schon wieder! Unterstützen Sie
unsere Verfassungsbeschwerde: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds