Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, kurono
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
kurono:
> Regarding https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9005 and several related
> tickets: #8861, #8860, #8859, #9006, I think its time to ask for
> feedback even if I know there still things to do (Like deleting
> *-launcher stuff). But anyway, it would be nice to add changes and fixes
> before it gets finished.

Again, it's super cool you're working on this; and sorry for the delay.

I'm attaching a screenshot with a few proposals. I'm still learning (and
struggling with) Glade. So my image has bugs but it will help
understanding my ideas.

1. Regarding "Clone" vs "ISO" on top of the dialog. I prefer using the
word "clone" only when cloning (and not for "ISO"). So I changed the
labels to "Clone current Tails" and "Use ISO image". I also added a file
browser (initially insensitive) to make it more visible that this option
requires browsing for a file (while the other one does not).

What do you think?

2. Regarding "Force reinstall". A check box implies that this is an
option to activate or not on top of "Upgrade". Here it's rather an
*alternative* to upgrade (either Upgrade or Reinstall). So I changed it
for a link button. Reinstalling is destroying data here and most likely
the less popular of the two choice, so using something less visible make
sense here I think. I couldn't manage to change the label of the link in
Glade (that's a bit crazy!) but I think it should be labeled "Reinstall".

3. I renamed the button "Upgrade" only. This is not a dangerous action
and we're explaining in the confirmation dialog that the persistent
storage is preserved. So I think we're good. But the confirmation dialog
behind "Reinstall" should be much more scary.

By the way, how can I test your changes locally (in Tails)? To see the
whole flow of interaction?

Today I also created #11501 to improve the confirmation dialogs.
I don't mind working on this myself once I know how to test changes locally.