[Tails-dev] Fwd: Upcoming stable point release (8.5)

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: tails-dev
Sujet: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Upcoming stable point release (8.5)
hi,

Jessie 8.5 is scheduled for June 4, while we plan to build the final
Tails 2.4 ISO on June 6.

Presumably we'll have the freezable APT repo feature by then, this
means that we can (and have to) choose between two options:

* skip this point-release for Tails 2.4 (that'll be the default
behaviour if we do nothing special, assuming the freezable APT repo
feature is merged as planned); and we'll get it into 2.5 (we can
even try the "bump APT snapshot via a topic branch" thing then :)

   - pros: no additional work to do, and the QA we do on 2.4~rc1 is
     more valuable
   - cons: we don't get the bugfixes from Jessie 8.5

* bump the time-based APT snapshot used by our testing branch to one
that includes the Jessie point release, after Jessie 8.5 is out,
that is two days before building the final 2.4 ISO; note that this
implies that packages we pull from sid, that have been updated in
Debian since 2.4~rc1 was frozen, will be updated as well in the
final 2.4 ISO (we can freeze & thaw at the archive granularity
only, and "Debian" is one such archive; if we feel it's an
important problem, we can spend more bandwidth and disk space in
order to have an archive concept with finer granularity, e.g.
per-Debian-release, but that won't happen during this cycle)

   - pros: we get the bugfixes from Jessie 8.5
   - cons: this kinda defeats the purpose of freezing the set of
     Debian packages we include at RC time, in terms of how the QA we
     do on the RC applies to the final ISO; now, that's what we've
     been doing for years, so it can't be that bad to do it once more
     from time to time, when the Debian point release schedule
     conflicts this way with ours

I have a hard time picking my preferred one, so I say it'll be our
release manager (anonym)'s call. I'll provide any needed help for
things that are specific to the freezable APT repo.

Hi,

The next point release for "jessie" (8.5) is scheduled for Saturday,
June 4th. Processing of new uploads into jessie-proposed-updates
will be frozen during the preceding weekend.

Cheers,
Julien