Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: sajolida
À: segfault, anonym, George Kadianakis, Tails user experience & user interface design
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
segfault:
> I think both anonym's suggestion of graying out the "configure" button
> and the current design solve the problems we would have if we used only
> a single panel. anonym confirmed that he didn't actually test the
> prototype before writing the mail and didn't know the problems he
> addressed are already solved in the current design.
>
> So currently I see the following proposals:
>
> 1. Use a single panel with either;
>
> A. Somehow make it clear to the user that he needs to restart the
> service after changing options
>
> -or-
>
> B. Gray out the options which require restart if the service is running

If we go for a single dialog I think we should go for B and make options
read-only when the service is started. I proposed A to have some
alternative to B but I never really believed in it :)

> 2. Use the separate status panel and configuration dialogue with either:
>
> C. Name the ok button "Accept and Restart Service" and do exactly that
> when it's clicked.
>
> D. Gray out the "configure" button in the status panel while the
> service is running.
>
> I would be glad if we could decide on this soon, so I can continue
> working on this and implement all the functionality needed for initial
> usability tests.
>
> Some of the sarah's ideas would make A less awkward, but I would still
> prefer 2. because of the arguments I made in my previous mail.
>
> I prefer C over D - they solve the same problems, but I think D will
> provide slightly better UX, because users will be able to look at the
> configuration panel and change the controls while the service is
> running, only having to restart it to apply the changes.

I would still go for the single dialog (B) which still has the
advantages of:

1. Less design and less code.
2. One option lives in one place where the user can both see its state
and change it.

I'm not sure whether after the recent discussions there are still clear
disadvantages to this proposal (but of course I'm partial). But hey, I'm
not going to be pissed of or whatever if you decide to go for the
configuration dialog :)

While exploring GNOME Settings today I saw stuff like this:

- In Users and Printers, the options are displayed as labels but when
hovering them they turn out to be buttons that you can click to
change.
- In Date & Time, the options are grayed out until you click "Unlock"
and enter the administration password.

See screenshots in attachment.