Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: segfault
À: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: George Kadianakis, anonym
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
Susan:
> A few ideas in case they are helpful:
>
> Some applications put words on the canvas near the changed setting that say something like "Changes take effect after restart. Restart Now" (Firefox, for example, in the extension config) .
>
> In other applications, if the situation merits more emphasis because the user should really do it now, a button appears [Restart (icon: arrow in a circle pointing counter clockwise or a reload icon with two arrows in a circle: 🔄)]. Likely there is already an icon designated for this in the icon set for the platform. Icons work best when they also have a textual label.
>
> If you go with a dialog, I would put the button there so the user has something useful to do about it when notified. If restarting is optional, add a "Later" button too (or something similar) and give people another chance at the same dialog after another config choice or after some time has passed.
>
> If the GUI config screen has all the options on one page, then you could show a pulsing restart button to remind people they have to do that when they are done, and then you might not need a separate dialog, especially if you write the message on the background canvas. If the page scrolls, this could mean putting the restart button top and bottom in order to be visible enough.
>
> Susan

Hi Susan!

I'm very glad you join in on this discussion :)

I think your ideas are very helpful if we choose a design which requires
to make it clear to the user that he has to restart the service.

In the other mail I just sent in reply to anonym's mail, I argued that
it would provide better UX to use a separate configuration dialog and
name the ok button "Apply and Restart Service". What do you think about
this?

branches of the thread - it's already very messy)