Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available

Author: Susan
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Revamped greeter preview ISO available
Apologies for my hiatus! I had something urgent to attend to. I'll try to work my way backward as needed from this message.

Have you seen how 1Password does this? You type into the form analogous to the 3rd screenshot of yours, below. It has only a lock on it. When you finish typing the password and press Enter, the lock animates and moves across the field, unlocking itself like a little zipper or something.

Now that I see the four designs I'm quite worried that the lock and the word, when on the same button, are sending conflicting signals. For that reason I also prefer 2 and 4. I think 3 could work fine if we took the word off the button as 1Password does. (I'm counting the files from the top down.)

Contrast looks great!

I like "passphrase" because it suggests making a long one.

I am hopeful that user testing can discover whether the unlocked encrypted paradox is a problem. Maybe if you called it an encrypted container, your mental model would propagate. "Persistent storage" is accurate but not very evocative.

I hope my mail won't shrink this screenshot but it's been bad lately about that.

Susan