Re: [Tails-project] SilentKeys uses a fork of Tails

Author: RomeoPapa
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] SilentKeys uses a fork of Tails
On 04/26/2016 07:10 PM, sajolida wrote:
> RomeoPapa:
>> Hi there,
> Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Yes, same-wise.

> It's amazing that you're trying and I really much appreciate you
> getting in touch with us this way.
> I bet that many of us will be very interested in looking at your code :)
> What will the installation process look like concretely? For Tails it's
> still a very big pain point but unfortunately we didn't find any easy
> way forward...

Well, for typical users there is no installation process, the OS is
preflashed and bootable in the keyboard's write-protected flash. It's
literally plug and play. On first use a start-up Wizard will guide users
in creating either a durable personal or a john doe-ed profile, "format"
the microSD, create the persistent partition and use our diceware-based
generator/game to LUKS it once and for all.

> That's very much appreciated! I don't know if you've read our recent
> statement on creating Tails derivatives:
> http://tails.boum.org/contribute/derivatives Still, I don't think it
> can apply to you as you're probably changing too many things to be
> able to apply them *on top of* Tails.
> We already have AppArmor in Tails, see:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/application_isolation/
>
> We inherit the work done upstream in Debian, so if maybe you can
> contribute to either the profiles in Tails or Debian.

Yes noticed that page, we'll certainly help in profile creation, maybe
at the Debian fork since we'll include more apps that vanilla Tails.

> Regarding the UX roadmap, another big challenge pending is to make it
> easier to configure and start Tor (and handle persistent Tor state,
> captive portals, time sync, etc.). We started something but didn't get
> to concrete plans yet:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/

Network Manager is obviously an important part of both Satya and Tails.
Our UX expert will be spending time on this as we need both to better it
and augment/fork it with an openVPN variant ; we will certainly talk
about it again with you guys.

>> All development work we will do in-house will be freely available on our
>> Github for all to review, use, improve, you know the deal. Let's talk.
>> We're now working hard on the crowdfunding campaign, hoping to raise
>> enough to build the first series and move into beta. We won't stop you
>> from spreading the word if you like our initiative!
> Sure, tell us when the crowdfunding campaign starts, and also if you
> have any development channel we could follow.

We're launching on Tuesday May 24th at 16:00 CET (15:00 GMT - 10:00am
EST - 7:00am PST)

> In Tails we have automatic (incremental) upgrades but these only work
> for some time, after which people have to do a manual upgrade.
> See #7499.
>
> How do you deal with upgrades on the long-run?

Thats a very good question and we've accounted for it. We will
distribute small releases as incrementals, and we will periodically
distribute full point releases without any dependencies to any previous
releases, and then we can purge the system's space. We've assigned 8GB
for the system that should be enough to hold one full system and the
upgrade side by side until we purge. In the worst of case (and we hope
to never have to) we can always instruct our users to wipe the system
memory keyboard and recover the OS to v1.0 by turning on the recovery
switch and following instructions.

Thanks,