Re: [Tails-dev] Tail 2.2 Ugly as HELL

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, freedom-mail
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tail 2.2 Ugly as HELL
freedom-mail@???:
> There is any chance of Tails OS see other version that looks like the 1.6?
> The 2.2 version is UGLY AS HELL.

I agree :)

We switched to GNOME Shell in Classic mode (with the grey menus) because
we wanted to continue providing the top-left Applications and Places
menus and the bottom windows list. But this can be achieve equally in
GNOME Shell without the Classic mode by enabling these extensions.

The thing is that changing the appearance of the desktop implies
updating many things in our automated test suite which is based on
screenshots of the desktop. So I understand that our test suite
engineers are not really happy to do additional work just for aesthetic
(not that aesthetic is not important but they are overloaded already).

But I hope that one day we find a strong enough technical reason to do
the shift!