Re: [Tails-dev] GNOME menu items

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] GNOME menu items
u wrote (15 Mar 2016 12:34:49 GMT) :
> on the tails-l10 list, spriver said:
>> could the application poedit
>> get moved into the category "Office" in the GNOME menu? It's the only
>> application in "Development" and by doing this we could save the whole
>> section "Development". Or is the categorizing a thing Debian or GNOME
>> does?

> Somebody also recently said to me that having MAT not under "Utilities"
> is sad and I agree.

> So where can this be configured

Generally, in the upstream .desktop files.

For Tails -specific changes: by patching the .desktop files that come
with the packages (via config/chroot_local-patches/ historically, but
nowadays I think I would prefer a hook in config/chroot_local-hooks/
to lower a bit the maintenance cost of patches becoming fuzzy).
In theory there are nicer ways to do that, but last time I've tried,
I spent 1-2 hours on it and failed.

> and do we want to change this?

IMO, in the general case (and in most such proposals I've seen so
far), such proposed changes are not worth maintaining a Tails-specific
delta (that comes with a cost both for our developers, and for users
who are used to finding some app in some menu on other operating
systems). I'm sure there are exceptions to this though! And if we had
a menu maintainer who would commit to handle such things, to maintain
consistency and the corresponding delta on the long term, keeping in
mind our commitments to our upstreams, I personally would be very
happy to see people polish these bits of Tails UX :)