[Tails-ux] [review] Onion Circuits and Tor Status extension …

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: intrigeri
Subject: [Tails-ux] [review] Onion Circuits and Tor Status extension strings
Hi,

> intrigeri:
> I think that the end-user doc hides this
> implementation detail from the user.

This is okay because the two bits of software aren't advertised in the
documentation, and as sojolida mentioned, people see it (the pair) as a
single thing when using it.

> design proposal

Word.

> static string, instead of nothing at all

This could work, depending on the contextual recommendations of the
visual (design proposal).

> blueprint

Word.

> mask the technical behind the term

Yes, if it the most suitable for the dialog to do so.

Ideal terminology describes both technically and clearly, so that an
engineer and a user can agree on, and share, the mental model.

> "Tor connection" makes me think of my
> connection to [instead of] my connection
> through

Very valuable insight (: People will notice the same conflict and we
will hopefully address it with a successful resolution.

> in Onion Circuits only

This is the goal, since we are starting with the presumption that Tor
has properly labeled their bits.

We're figuring how to best communicate these bits to the entire spectrum
of the community.

The goal is to have an effective dialog. The path forward should
reflect that by minimizing upstream convincing; leave that to the Whonix
team q:

Wordlife,
Spencer