Re: [Tails-dev] dconf-editor dropped, gedit-plugins, systemd…

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] w32codecs [Was: dconf-editor dropped, gedit-plugins, systemd, w32codecs]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] dconf-editor dropped, gedit-plugins, systemd, w32codecs
Well, as emmapeel said when libdvdcss originally was discussed:
"I think access to culture is a very important right for people, and I
would be happy that Tails helps to make access to restricted/corporate
culture more easy, providing a framework to criticize it and create
their own."

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-August/009320.html

I remember years ago reading on vlc's forum about some camcorders that
recorded by default to wmv format, but I can't seem to find a link.
Regardless, I highly suspect some non-zero number of devices records
video in proprietary formats by default and may be unaccessible to
activists using Tails. Furthermore, even if they don't directly come
from freshly made video, there is plenty of wmv video out there that
would be made accessible.

TL;DR: I think we should ship as many codecs as we can, to allow as
wide of access to media as possible.