Re: [Tails-testers] Experience installing Tails 2.0.1 using …

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: sajolida
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Tails list for early testers
Aihe: Re: [Tails-testers] Experience installing Tails 2.0.1 using tails-installer
David Fifield:
> I'm writing in response to sajolida's request for Tails installation
> experiences here:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2015-December/000031.html

Thanks for answering my call!

>  1. The instructions didn't say exactly what command to run for the
>     installer, but I was able to guess tails-installer-launcher.

Right, so far we're only giving hints on how to start Tails Installer by
graphical means. Given that nowadays (with GNOME Shell and such) you
can't give a menu path anymore we thought that giving the name and the
icon of the program was enough.

But you're right, in the expert scenario that's advertised to be on the
command line we should make people start it on the command line. I'll
tackle this in https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11146.

> I started the installation as root. Within a few seconds the progress
> bar filled to 100% and there were the messages:
>     tails-i386-2.0.1.iso selected
>     Partitioning device /dev/sdb
>     Formatting /dev/sdb1 as FAT32
>     Verifying filesystem...
>     Extracting live image to the target device...
>     Wrote to device at 1082 MB/sec
>     Reading extracted MBR from /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr/gptmbr.bin
>     Installing bootloader...
>     Synchronizing data on disk...
> At this point I wasn't sure what to do. It didn't look like anything was
> happening. The installation guide said, "At the end of the installation,
> you are asked for your administration password," and that hadn't
> happened yet. The guide also said "The progress bar usually freezes for
> some time around 95 percent while synchronizing data on disk," but the
> progress bar looked like 100%, not 95%. I ran iotop and saw that kworker
> was doing a lot of disk writes, so I decided to wait. After about five
> minutes, I got the messages
>     Unmounting mounted filesystems on '/dev/sdb1'
>     Synchronizing data on disk...
>     Resetting Master Boot Record of /dev/sdb
>     Synchronizing data on disk...
>     Installation complete! (0:05:04)

I *think* I've seen this as well (100% instead of 95%). And now I'm
realizing that at least in 2.0.1 there's no indication of percentage
anymore (there used to in prior versions). Do you think that rephrasing:

"The progress bar usually freezes for some time around 95 percent while
synchronizing data on disk."

into something like:

"The progress bar usually freezes for some time near the end while
synchronizing data on disk."

or shorter:

"The progress bar usually freezes for some time while synchronizing data
on disk."

would be enough? :)