Re: [Tails-l10n] Installation Assistant: feedback

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Installation Assistant: feedback
spriver:
> Hi,
> a few things I noticed while translating:
>
>> And thanks for starting the work on the assistant. I'm really
>> interested in feedback from you, especially if you think that the
>> source can be adjusted to make your work easier or if you think we
>> should document better or add comments on how to translate this.
>
> The amount of inline pages can be confusing sometimes because it can
> happen easily that I miss to "translate" (adding .de at the end of it)
> them, because they can be mistaken with the pictures/stylesheets.

We have a ticket to try to limit the number of inlines. It's #10792.
This might speed up the build and make it easier to translate. Feel free
to take it from me :)
I added some hints on how I would start investigating this.

> Maybe this process can be automatized? (adding the corresponding file
> extension for each language by default).

Sure. I don't think it's worth being automated in ikwiki (as it's very
hard to find people to hack on ikiwiki in the project). But you could
maybe come up with some commands to run on your Git repo and update all
the translation of inlines at once. Then we can merge this.

> It's also sort of difficult
> to review inline pages, because the page that includes the inline has
> also be translated together with it (but I think this is how things
> are and I just have to get used to it)
>
> Another thing that could be improved is the "Back" button, it has also
> to be translated everytime. Maybe this could be put into another
> inline file?

Why not. But then you would have to translate this inline everytime as
well :) So this doesn't work unless we automate the translation of
inline directives. Note that we could also use an image instead of text
but then we couldn't have an alt='' on it. Maybe it's no big deal but
seeing that there are only 16 'Back', I'd say we're better translating
them directly. Maybe you can come up with some sed command to translate
them all at once and document this :)

> If there's more, I'll let you know! (:
>
>> Also, I was wondering why you used a word instead of a number in:
>>
>> msgid "1 hour to install" msgstr "Eine Stunde zum Installieren"
>>
>> You are the German translators so it's really up to you and I don't
>> want to interfere in your decision, but I was wondering whether
>> this was more of a personal choice of style or whether using
>> numbers in such context looks weird in German? Different languages
>> have different typographic and style convention and I'm interested
>> in learning them.
>>
>> We decided to use numbers in English because here we are in a list
>> enumerating needs (facts) and numbers are probably faster to scan
>> (for example if you compare the needs between two scenarios) and
>> take less space. Also some scenarios require ¼, ½, or 1½ hour.
>
> Since muri already responded to this in a seperate message I won't
> answer here. I'm just used to write numbers as words smaller than 12.

Me too in prose in general, but it also depends on the context :)