Re: [Tails-dev] Dynamically changing ISO URL in DAVE

Author: intrigeri
To: Giorgio Maone
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Dynamically changing ISO URL in DAVE
Hi,

[there's one question for sajolida below, even if most of my message
is mainly meant to Giorgio and U.]

Giorgio Maone wrote (11 Feb 2016 16:15:30 GMT) :
> I can't see any particular problem (except for some less than idiomatic
> EcmaScript style instances, e.g. new Array()) in your code.

Thanks! Good to know that this should work in a Firefox add-on.

I'll let U. decide if she wants more such feedback, where,
when, and how :)

> The only caveat for integrating it into DAVE is that every time the
> extension starts/resume a download or is installed/upgraded/reloaded,
> downloader.js loops through all the download jobs already "known" to the
> browser's built-in download manager and, if any of them matches the URL
> in the IDF, picks the active one, or if none is currently active, the
> most advanced one and makes it "current", resuming it if required.

Wow, congrats for caring about all these use cases in DAVE!

> Therefore, rather than just checking for equality with the URL provided
> by the IDF, we should check whether these jobs match any of the URLs
> produced by combining the mirror host names with the path provided by
> the IDF, and force the mirror of the "choosen" download job if any can
> be made current.

Right!

(So I've created a dedicated ticket for the implementation side of
this, and pointed to your reply so we keep this in mind:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11109)

> Beside that, I think the JSON should be fetched every time the UI page
> is reloaded (of course obeying to server-side caching directives), just
> like we currently do with the IDF.

I'm afraid I don't know under which circumstances the UI page is
reloaded, so I lack the background info to integrate this proposal
into my mental representation of the problem.

@sajolida + @Giorgio: is this done as part of the Installation
Assistant or DAVE course of operation, or only due to external factors
(e.g. the user manually reloading the page, or restarting their
browser)?

>> Will you be happy to review our DAVE patch, once we have something
>> that Works For Me™? Likely we will be working on it on April 6-8, and
>> ideally we would need the new feature to be on AMO by the end
>> of April.
> Of course I will.

:)

>> Also, it would be awesome if we could ask you one or three questions
>> when we hit technical difficulties along the way,

> No problem, just drop me an email and if asked I'm also going to join
> the #tails-dev channel ASAP.

Cool. Note that our official development channel has moved to XMPP:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/chat/