[Tails-l10n] Pootle

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-l10n
Subject: [Tails-l10n] Pootle
Hi,

I know that quite some effort was put into Weblate already, but in the
end it seems that it's more complicated to integrate into our workflow
than what we once believed. So I thought I would mention here that
a friend of mine recently asked me why we are not using Pootle [1].
I'm told it's a more mature solution than Weblate. We quickly went
through our specification [2] and apparently it's good for almost all
MUST:s, and many of our SHOULD:s.

Only one MUST is maybe not supported yet: "make it easy to view the
translations in context i.e. when translating an entire page, all
strings to be translated should only come from this page.
translators should be able to view the page in context"; we didn't
spend any time seeing if this could be tweaked though (just looked at
the default configuration on an existing Pootle instance), and last
time I checked, Weblate had some limitations in this area too.

So perhaps it would be sound to check if the current problems we have
with Weblate would be solved by Pootle in a better way. I'm sure
I lack the big picture, so really this is just for what it's worth :)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pootle
[2] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/translation_platform/