Re: [Tails-dev] Requirements for a Pidgin replacement

Author: sycamoreone
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Requirements for a Pidgin replacement
Hi!

ghostlands@???:
> Anyway what I'm getting at is in order to facilitate simplicity I think
> it might be helpful to talk about these things in terms of protocols or
> types of delivery that Tails wants to prioritize (rather than using
> client examples as the article of dialogue), and then choose a discrete
> and simple client for each, which will probably change of course as time
> goes by; ideally the protocols Tails supports in one way or another
> will not.

Basically yes about simplicity and being able to change things, but I
think the correct level of abstraction here is *use-cases* and not
protocols or clients. This is also the level the "message that started
referencing the options according to letters" was talking about. Some of
the use-cases (A. and B.) map to protocols very directly. Others like
"Public chatroom for Tails user support" do not though.

I also don't believe that there should be one big communication-client,
but the use-cases that IRC and XMPP satisfy are very similar, so one
client for both might be a good idea usability wise. I am not sure.

Please feel free to add your ideas to the blueprint:
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/replace_Pidgin!

Cheers!