Re: [Tails-dev] Migrate Tail's browser AdBlock Plus to uBloc…

Autore: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-dev] Migrate Tail's browser AdBlock Plus to uBlock Origin
Hi,

Nik Cubrilovic wrote (30 Jan 2016 06:26:44 GMT) :
> Hi everybody - I know that the topic of migrating the Tor Browser on
> Tails from AdBlock Plus (ABP) to a faster and more modern plugin comes
> up regularly, so i'll keep this short and get to why Adblock Plus
> should be replaced with uBlock Origin (uBO) and why it's ready now:

Thanks for the update! I'll snip everything except what may still
remain problematic.

> 5. It is not just an ad blocker - advanced mode with dynamic filtering
> can implement NoScript (with website scopes, so if you approve
> cloudflare.com on one domain it won't globally approve it), same with
> Request Policy like rules, and implementing HTTPSEverywhere in rules
> (or similar redirects to take users to .onion versions of websites).

> Dynamic filtering would allow a default block mode for all third-party
> resources and all scripts while allowing a whitelist of sites where
> non-third-party javascript could be enabled:

> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dynamic-filtering

> Example default deny ruleset:

> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dynamic-filtering:-default-deny:-useful-rulesets

> I'm familiar with the "whitelists can be fingerprinted" argument, but
> it is resolved here as a third-party site can't check what the user
> has blocked or allowed because of the rule scopes.

> uBO has an emphasis on supporting and loading privacy and tracking
> oriented rulelists, along with malware rules - so it is more suited to
> a privacy-oriented browser and operating system than a simple ad
> blocker.

To me, this point is rather problematic. I'm not sure it's a good idea
to add more filtering than ads, and supporting it adds some code (and
potential for security issues) that I would rather avoid shipping and
running unless we really want it.

So, I would really like to treat _as a separate discussion_ the
question of whether we want to use these features or not.

Let's please, for the moment, consider uBO as an ad blocker that is
proposed to replaced ABP _only_.

How easy is it to turn off all filtering features / lists except the
ad blocking ones?

> I think this issue, which talks about ABP being replaced with uBO
> should be reopened:

> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9833

Done. What's your Redmine login?