Re: [Tails-dev] ebuild for tails-installer

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] ebuild for tails-installer
On Feb 1, 2016 6:33 PM, <mmarco@???> wrote:

> In gentoo, there are essentially three ways to install a package through

the
> package manager:
>
> 1) Packages that are included in the main portage tree (that would be the
> official packages of the distro)
> 2) Packages included in one of the layman overlays (would be like thirthd
> party repos, but can be easily managed with a tool provided by the

distro).
> 3) Packages in the local overlay of the user (would be the equivalent of
> downloading a .deb package and install it manually).
>
> I have no contact with the official gentoo team, so can't do much about

option
> 1). However, Austin English, who also showed interest in this, might help

with
> that. AFAIK, he is on hollyday now. Maybe when he comes back he could help

Yes, I am, but I've got a few minutes to reply. I'm in the process of
becoming a Gentoo developer myself, and child commit it at that point, or I
have other contacts that may be willing.

> with that. If this get fixed, gentoo users that want to install

tails-installer
> should just use the standard way:
>
> $ emerge tails-installer
>
> and that would be it (well, maybe some work should be done to allow the
> installation of a package that is not marked as fully stable, but that is

the
> kind of things that a typical gentoo user is used to deal with)

Yes, but unfortunately this package could never be stable, as it's a
-9999 (for non Gentoo people, that refers to live/trunk ebuilds rather
than one that is tied to a specific version).

It would be extremely helpful if source tarballs were available at Tails
upstream for each release. That would allow Gentoo upstream to stabilize
known good versions after a period of testing.

> About option 2), I also don't maintain any of those semioficial overlays.
> However, one of those overlays is focused preciselly on torbrowser and

related
> packages. I have already sent a pull request to include my ebuild in it.

If it
> is merged, the installation would be almost as easy. Just install the

layman
> tool in the usual way and then:
>
> $ layman -a torbrowser
> $ emerge tails-installer
>
> Finally, until 1) and/or 2) become possible, a regular user can use a

local
> overlay. In order to do so, (s)he should follow the following steps:
>
> a) enable the local overlay by adding a line like
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY = "/usr/local/portage/"
>
> to the file /etc/portage/make.conf
>
> b) copy the directory tails-installer and its content inside of the

directory
> /usr/local/portage/app-misc
>
> c) run the usual "emerge tails-installer" command.
>
> I hope this helps to clarify the general picture. If you need more

details, I
> would be happy to provide them.
>

> P.S. During the writing of the ebuild I noticed that there are several
> dependencies that are not listed in the README file. They are the

following:

> configobj
> urlgrabber
> python-distutils-extra
> pygobject
> pyparted
> cdrtools
> gptfdisk
>

> best,
>
> Miguel Marco
>

> > Miguel Angel Marco Buzunariz:
> > > I have uploaded the ebuild to
> > > https://github.com/miguelmarco/tails-installer-ebuild
> > >
> > > If someone has access to a gentoo box, please test it.
> > >
> > > If furthermore someone maintains a gentoo overlay, or any other place

were