[Tails-dev] Requirements for a Pidgin replacement

Author: sycamoreone
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Requirements for a Pidgin replacement
Hi,

there has been some desire to replace Pidgin with some other IM client
(#8573). While this won't happen soon there are now at least two
potential alternatives: the Tor Project's Tor Messenger (#8577) and the
CoyIM client, based on agl's xmpp-client (#8574).

In order to be able to decide when/if a client is a suitable replacement
for Pidgin, it would be good to have a concrete list of requirements. I
once started to collect some in a blueprint

    https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/replace_Pidgin/

but didn't come very far. I believe my personal requirements are not
particularly representative (I dislike notifications for example) and I
don't want to try to second-guess requirements of others.

So, if you care about a particular feature in Pidgin, then it would be
great if you could add these features to the blueprint or send them here!

Cheers!