[Tails-l10n] 32C3 report of translation meeting

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: [Tails-l10n] 32C3 report of translation meeting
Hi,

here are my notes about our Weblate discussion, please comment and
improve, volunteer to do some tasks if you want to :)

Weblate
-------

* discuss merge policy (note that the problems described here would also
apply to any other Git- based tool)
    * how do we deal with files from untranslated languages?
        * can each language correspond to a branch?
        * should we have one git repository per language instead?
    * Weblate headers create merge conflicts
      -> investigate how to prevent Weblate from altering the headers
      -> test what happens if some translators use git and some use
weblate? how do we handle that?

* reviewer roles need to be reworked
    * set up roles from our requirements :u:

* Git repository for Weblate
    * broken on VM since farsi went online, needs repairement :u:

* We'd need an ssl certificate for the VM at some point
    * consider using letsencrypt for my vm :u:

* What did the farsi translators miss in weblate?
    * rtl not well handled (for example in links with HTML code)
    * names of pages in Weblate differ from pages on the website (that's
because I was too lazy to type everything by hand)

* Do we want to maintain different workflows for all the translators?
  or should we stick to one way?
  * arguments to stick with vanilla Git:
        - we can't work offline if we should be using a webapp
        - git brings you to the code, and contributing. Some translators
learned Git that way, some started contributing to other parts of Tails
this way.

Pontoon
-------

* Need to verify if it fits the requirements of our blueprint :muri:
* Need to test it:
    * probably we'd create a copy of the Tails website so that JS could
be integrated there. This copy would have a Git repo and do commits.
      The original page would simply use the committed po files.

$funders
---------

* funding could be possible if we can convince them that funding *this*
free software is the way to go, instead of funding $company
* but if we use pontoon, they have funding from Mozilla already and we
could ask them to fund our hosting eventually?

Farsi
-----

* document mailing list :u: (done)
* ask people how to continue