[Tails-dev] About the download and verification of test imag…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] About the download and verification of test images
Hi,

As part of our work on integrating the new installation assistant and
ISO verification extension in the rest of the website, we need to decide
how to advertise the download and verification of test ISO images as
these ones won't be available through the ISO verification extension
(the extension only allows downloading the latest official ISO image).

Until now we were using buttons to the direct download of ISO images and
their signature. See for example
https://tails.boum.org/news/test_2.0-beta1/index.en.html.

Something else to keep in mind while discussing this is that, for the
time being, I'm proposing to remove the old instructions for OpenPGP
verification from the website. The rational behind this is explained in
e66558a. The short version is that we're running way out of time on the
assistant and this seems like some big work that could very well be
postponed.

Also, these instructions were already broken in Tails (see #9285 and not
many people complained about this).

Does this sound reasonable to you for test images?

As an improvement, shall we point people to
https://archive.torproject.org/ when downloading these?