[Tails-dev] Help! JavaScript / GNOME Shell extension problem…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Help! JavaScript / GNOME Shell extension problem || removing topIcons
Hi,

one the remaining issues that make me a bit sad about the current
state of Tails/Jessie (scheduled to be released in two weeks) is:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10576

Sadly, I lack the expertise needed to efficiently debug this, so
I figured I'd better call for help now, instead of being all "I'm so
sorry in I didn't become a JS expert yet" in two weeks.

Anyone at ease with JavaScript and/or the GNOME Shell extensions
system, who has time to give a hand?

Here are the other options I think we have; we don't need to choose,
each of the three paths is worth the effort in itself:

* Try and reproduce the bug on Tails/Stretch: it might be that this
is all caused by a bug in GNOME Shell, GLib or something, that
might have been fixed in more recent version of GNOME. We have no
branch that builds ISO images based on Debian Stretch yet, though.
Any taker? Worst case, I expect that anonym and I will start
working on it in May/June, to the latest, if we manage to resist
the temptation this long.

* Speed up the removal of the topIcons extension, that was meant as
a temporary solution anyway; this would work if, and only if, it is
_really_ the culprit. There are quite a few blockers, including
replacing Vidalia with Tor Monitor:

     https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8309

Note that in my experience, I think I've always seen the bug happen
after the Vidalia icon appeared, so it might be that there's some
bad topIcons/Vidalia interaction, that would be solved "simply" by
replacing Vidalia (even if we keep topIcons a bit longer, for the
other icons we need to move up there).