Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent V…

Author: Andrew Gallagher
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent Volume
On 13/12/15 17:46, sajolida wrote:

> If you're interested in plugging this in the current code [1] that would
> be awesome. But as we haven't really finished the design decision around
> the backup scenarios, I can't promise anything regarding it's official
> acceptance yet.

I have a reasonably stable version of the code available here:

https://github.com/andrewgdotcom/tails-clone-persistent/releases/tag/v0.1.1-beta1

The easiest way to install it is to download the .deb, but it should(?)
build cleanly from the source. There's nothing particularly fancy in it.

Some notes/caveats:

1. The GUI half of the code is still perl, sorry. So it's not directly
pluggable into tails-installer (yet!). It works fine as a standalone
GTK2 app and invokes tails-installer as required. Working code >> proper
standards and all that. ;-)

2. The GUI is not particularly pretty.

3. My C++ string handling sucks. Please don't look at it. I'll tidy it
up later.

4. If you type in the wrong password when updating an existing
persistent partition, it will fail hard rather than reprompt.

5. I've been testing it against Tails 2.0beta. It used to work against
1.x also, but I might have broken that when I migrated to udisks2.
Haven't got around to checking it since.

Andrew.