Re: [Tails-testers] Brasero NO BURNING OPTIONS? 2.0 BETA 1 (…

Author: intrigeri
To: 988
CC: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Brasero NO BURNING OPTIONS? 2.0 BETA 1 (and 1.7, 1.8, 1.8.1)
Hi,

(reordering the question/answers to make the discussion readable from
top to bottom; quoting with permission from 988)

988@??? wrote (01 Jan 2016 21:42:06 GMT) :
> intrigeri wrote:
>> Tails 1.1 (mid-2014) was based on Debian 7 (Wheezy), while previous
>> versions were based on Debian 6 (Squeeze). As part of this switch, the
>> burning software, brasero, was upgraded from 2.30.3-2 to 3.4.1-4.
>> And Tails 2.0 (due in a few weeks) will be based on Debian 8 (Jessie),
>> and it'll include brasero 3.11.4-1.1. I bet this evolution explains
>> the changes you noticed.

>> Is any of these options that disappeared critical for your use cases?
>> If yes, which one, and why?

> The options are important ...

> 1. Burn without saving to disk re: I do alot of photograhpy / short
> videos and I need to overcome the memory size especially on my older computer
> (the 2008 model).
> 2. Test before actual burn - it's important as I've managed to put
> many DVD-R's in the trash (Not because of Tails but because of OS X's
> insecurity)
> 3. I'd like to know the DVD-R's are CLOSED as DVD-R's are where
> I store my critical info (long term).

OK, got it. So I looked closer. And with a Samsung external (USB) DVD
burner, I see all these options:

* on a non-Tails Debian unstable system I have here;
* on Tails 2.0~beta1 booted from USB on a ThinkPad X200.

So the fact you don't see these options needs more investigation.

Can you please start Tails 2.0~beta1, set an admin password in the
Greeter, run the following command:

sudo tails-debugging-info

... and send me the complete output over _private_ email?
(Don't send it to the mailing-list.)

Also, it would be useful if you installed the brasero-cdrkit package
on Tails 2.0~beta1, and retried: it might have something to do with
seeing these options, or not.