Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia issue with 2.0~beta1

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia issue with 2.0~beta1
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (28 Dec 2015 09:55:11 GMT) :
> tails-bugs@??? wrote (23 Dec 2015 12:26:40 GMT) :
>> we received an anonymous report from a tester, it seems that, with that
>> release and with a nvidia gtx 960, 970, 980... , Tails is so slow it
>> looks like a slide show. the user did not experienced this issue with
>> Tails 1.8.

> Please either forward me the actual debugging info via private email,
> or put me in touch with the bug reporter. Thanks!

This was done (thanks!), and here are my conclusions.

Linux 3.16's "nouveau" driver does not support this graphics hardware
(NVidia GeForce 900 series based on the Maxwell architecture, chipset
0x124000a1), so the system falls back to software rendering done by
the CPU with no help from the graphics card, which explains the
slowness in GNOME Shell.

I'm not certain but it looks like it might be fixed once we upgrade to
a newer Linux kernel (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10298).
This won't happen for Tails 2.0, but it's on our roadmap for 2016;
some early work has been done already, but there are still a few
non-trivial blockers.