[Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta

Autore: Spencer
To: Tails list for early testers
Oggetto: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta
Hi,

> Yui Hirasawa:
> # Compiz is horrible...will make Tails perform very badly on older
> computers and even on newer ones

But the world needs cube transitions :)

> # GNOME shell, very bad choice...for those of us who don't know
> the keybinds that GNOME shell uses.

Why else?

> especially those of us who only have the thinkpad nipple as
> our mouse.

Will you expand on this, usability-wise?

> # i2p no boot option to boot with i2p on in the grub menu? Why
> hide this very nice feature?

I agree. Documentation is good but the interface should educate people
on the possibilities as well.

> Imo the grub menu could just have
> another page for advanced features with choices for better
> desktop environments and i2p and possibly some other useful
> stuff in the future

Or a list of options and their flags in the documentation instead. More
options dialogs will complicate the already complex experience. Though,
depending on the other options, it could probably all be one dialog,
since we're already out of the "regular folk" flow at this point.

> Here is a log of our chats on #tails.
>

>> chat log:
>> everything being hidden behind a menu is horrible
>> for usability...like the wifi...and workspaces

Dropdown menus are no fun but once things are set up there is a magic
omnibutton that is interesting :)

However, with having disabled networking as an option now, dedicating a
button to a single function such as 'Network Connection' seems like a
reasonable way forward; it would display the state on-load and remove
the extra action. We could remove the 'Select A Network' action also
and go for a *more* OSX-like experience with the always-scan, though
that isn't a very easing experience.

>> GNOME 3 sucks ass

Why? Feel free to point.

>> is there any use to discuss/document
>> the disadvantages (in matters of usability) of 2.0 vs. 1.8.x

Please do :)

>> I guess they want to stick as close to upstream as possible,
>> even though that makes no sense because it's supposed to be a live
>> privacy OS

It is also supposed to be maintainable :)

>> what's the use of "beauty" for a security tool at all?!?

Usability as a security feature seems to be a driving theme; I fully
support this and cite clarity and trust as arguments for doing so.

>> i3, MATE, Xfce...would be a better option

Why are these better?

>> But sometimes I want to be lazy and just use the mouse...Maybe they
>> did this to improve my posture.

A big focus in experience design is changing behavior.

>> nautilus as amnesia...Well that's definitely a bug then.

Why is this?

Thanks for being so generous and sharing this :)

Wordlife,
Spencer