[Tails-ux] Greeter Icons [was: Greeter help button]

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter Icons [was: Greeter help button]
Hi,

> Alan:
> We tested the 2nd format.

ac2b346; cool :)

> I don't like your proposal as it makes it impossible to find the help
> link of you don't know the "help" word in english. I'd like to see
> something more understandable amongst languages, as a question mark.

Reading is difficult in general; a question mark, in either the single
location as shown in the attached file [0] or in each of the respective
section label locations, should be enough for now. It would be nice to
have some kawaii instead, though; this will need some thinking.

In the attached file you will find GNOME compliant monochromatic icons
at 16px/sqr ready to go, should there be a consensus on their
effectiveness. Included in the document is a request to finalize two of
the icons with two options of each, and a request to adjust the line
height of the text fields.

• Text Language - This is the only icon that really stands out, as it
seems out of scale with the others; needs more thought down the road,
form-wise.

• Keyboard Layout - This is in GNOME already at 22px and prompts a
softkeyboard; optimized to 16px.

• Formats - This has been adjusted to match the weight and sharpness of
the other monochromatic 16px system icons used in similar context;
should be even more clear now.

• Time Zone - This is in GNOME already at 16px; use that if you prefer,
it may match better (seems to be a 1.5px thickness on the clock frame; I
used 2px).

• Encrypted Persistent Storage - The locked and unlocked padlock icons
are padded to fit the 16px scale and are hidden, one on top of the
other, by being the same color blue as the button; use wherever needed.

• Administrative Account - This has two options in the document; one is
inspired by the round headed 'Universal Access' guy, and the other is a
common mobile icon; I recommend the first one.

• MAC Spoofing - This has been adjusted to match the weight and
sharpness of the other monochromatic 16px system icons used in similar
context; we could instead use one of the computers in the recommended
'Network Connection' icon, though it might be too blocky.

• Network Connection - This has two options in the document; one is an
existing 'Browse Network' icon, and the other is inspired by the
'Connect to Server' icon but I replaced the disk image with a blank
square that represents a node; I prefer the second but am recommending
the first, though it might clash with the 'MAC Spoofing' icon.

• Desktop Camouflage - This has been adjusted to match the weight and
sharpness of the other monochromatic 16px system icons used in similar
context; the roundness/globeness represents the global nature of the
function of themes, and the square was a bit too heavy.

If this is fine I will bust out a formal icon file, or send you the
source if you are fine extracting them there; these can also be a font
if needed, though that depends on the approach :)

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: Greeter.Icons.png