Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent V…

Author: Andrew Gallagher
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent Volume
On 11/12/15 10:57, sajolida wrote:

> Hi Andrew, sorry for not answering earlier but as u said we're all too
> busy right now. It's the end of the year and we have to finish many
> projects.

Completely understandable! Sorry for nagging.

> We have "backup system for persistence" on our roadmap for 2016 [1][2]
> and I'll be the one to work on the broad picture, UX design, etc. So I'm
> definitely interested in your work but I wanted to test it before
> answering (but couldn't find the time to do so), tough I won't be able
> review your Perl code.

That's fine, I can refactor it in python - although I'm not a python dev
so the first attempt may be a little ropey.

> Right. At the moment I'm playing with Deja-Dup [3] for the backups of my
> Tails. I really like the integration in the desktop but, as it's running
> as the amnesia user, it can't create a perfect clone of the persistent
> volume. So your approach is also something we've considered, see #8812 [4].

I saw you had been working on it, hence why I wanted to check before
spending too much time on potentially duplicated effort. I think there's
value in both methods - the bootable clone is more useful for me and I'm
sure I can't be alone.

So I'll work on and get back to you when I have something worth testing?

Thanks,
Andrew