Re: [Tails-dev] Update Electrum documentation for Tails 1.8 …

Author: s7r
To: Michael English, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Update Electrum documentation for Tails 1.8 upgrade to version 2.5.4

On 12/5/2015 10:38 PM, Michael English wrote:
> You have thoroughly criticized my documentation to help users
> secure Electrum in Tails. I ask you again what would you change in
> the current documentation where it warns about SPV. Would you
> remove it entirely, replace it, or add something on to the end?
> What specific wording would you use?

Didn't mean to criticize anything, but saw you are considering
everything way more vulnerable and risky than it really is and only
provided more information, which you can of course verify for yourself
as well as anyone reading this list.

The already existent warning about SPV which is now included in the
documentation is fine. There is a link with a description about the
weaknesses of SPV on an official page. I would include the fact that
an user should ignore unconfirmed payments until they are confirmed,
that's all, but I am not totally sure if this is really necessary
given the fact that Electrum already displays the unconfirmed balances
separately from the confirmed ones which makes it obvious. Example:

Balance: 2.4221 BTC [+1.24864 unconfirmed]

"In SPV mode, a good practice is to consider received payments as
clear after they are confirmed."