Re: [Tails-dev] Avoiding real MAC address in Tails macchange…

Author: Adam Burns
To: The Tails public development discussion list, desktops, Whonix-devel
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Avoiding real MAC address in Tails macchanger being harmful?
Thanks for the summary.

On 26/11/15 20:52, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Tails does verify, that randomly chosen MAC does not equal the real MAC
> by chance.
>
> From tails-spoof-mac [1] (code: [A])
>
>> # There is a 1/2^24 chance macchanger will randomly pick the real MAC
>> # address. We try to making it really unlikely repeating it up to
>> # three times. Theoretically speaking this leaks information about the
>> # real MAC address at each occasion but actually leaking the real MAC
>> # address will be more serious in practice.

Not a leak, but serious and much more likely would be MAC collisions in
larger third party network segment environments.

Happen to choose a MAC address of a fellow DHCP client? Someone could be
informed by their OS of a MAC collision, and such an event would be
likely logged.

Happen to choose a MAC address of a network gateway and/or DHCP server?
Well, that's fun for everyone ...

Shine,

Adam.